The Welsh branch of the IWW have teamed up with the Couriers Network Cymru to help fight for better conditions across the industry. As part of the wider IWW campaign to support couriers (read more here) IWW Cymru is using its knowledge, skills and expertise in grass-roots organisation to help couriers to fight and win!
Who are the Couriers Network Cymru?
“We are a collaboration between the the IWW (Industrial Workers of the World), a grassroots trade union, and a rapidly growing group of couriers working for Deliveroo and UberEats. The network aims to push to change the conditions of labour relations across the industry to get a better deal for its members and ultimately to enable a better service for the public.”
The nature of the industry means the majority of the networks members are self-employed, but using the time honoured tactics of collective organisation and direct action they are seeking to change things! There is no requirement for members of the network to join the IWW (although many of the networks members are in the IWW) but given our shared aims and belief in grassroots activism we have agreed to help build worker’s power!
Initiatives similar to the Courier Network Cymru have been set up in cities across the UK and Europe by couriers in collaboration with local branches of the IWW as well as our friends in other grassroots trade unions, the IWGB and UVW. Through collective action, gains for hardworking couriers have been won and the more of us join up and get involved the stronger we are and the better chance we have of making sure companies like Deliveroo and UberEats treat the workers who are the backbone of their business model with the respect and remuneration they deserve.
How are the IWW supporting them?
The IWW helps workers to self-organise wherever they are and on their own terms. IWW Cymru will be helping the network primarily by:
- Providing the Network with organisational support – primarily in the planning, communication and logistics of campaigns
- Helping to build links of solidarity across industries (e.g with restaurant workers)
- Helping them build links nationally / internationally with other groups fighting for change across the courier industry
What can you do to help?
It is through collective action and pressure that we can change things for the better, and we all know that companies hate bad press. Some of the great ways you can help support us are:
- If you are working as a courier in Wales (especially, but not only, Deliveroo and UberEats) and want to improve your working conditions and those of your colleages, get in touch and get involved!
- The Courier Network Cymru has its own Facebook and Twitter pages, along with its own website. You can help their cause by sharing and spreading their message across the world!
- You can publicise the fight and put pressure on Deliveroo, Uber and other companies to sort their act out and to push for the Courier Network Cymru to be listened to!
- Join us if we take collective action on marches, protests and boycotts.
Interested in getting involved or just hearing more?